DPW Work Zone News
- Re-construction of the Town's Municipal Office Building Parking Lots begins September 22, 2017. Thank you for your patience during the project.
- Construction of our new 1.5 mile Connecticut Riverwalk and Bikeway is expected to begin during September of 201
Submit a Tree Work Request Online
Every day in many diverse ways the Department of Public Works touches almost every aspect of life for those living, visiting and/or working within the boundaries of the Town of West Springfield.
Other major Public Works responsibilities include maintenance of streets and sidewalks, installation and repair of street signs, water treatment and distribution, snow removal and sanding, collection and pumping of sanitary sewer effluent, flood protection, collection of recyclables, solid waste, yard waste and large bulk items.
We acknowledge that the safety and comfort of the citizens of West Springfield is the prime purpose of our mission and to them we commit our efforts to attain each goal with environmental sensitivity and fiscal constraint.
Table of Organization
- Administration and Finance
- Operations – which includes highway and sidewalk maintenance, storm and sanitary sewer operation including flood control, snow and ice removal operations as well as solid waste management and collection. Please go to the MassDEP Beyond The Bin Recycling Directory for waste disposal solutions not found on our website. Residents with curbside trash and recycling cart service can bring items that don't fit in the cart, known as "Bulk" to the Transfer Station at 138 Palmer Avenue. Or, those Residents can schedule a "Bulk Pick-up" of the items from their tree belt by calling 413-587-0999. Residents are allowed to dispose of a total of 15 items per year at no cost - whether they are dropped off or picked up from the Residents tree belt. The scheduled tree belt pickups allow up to five items to be picked up, three times per year. "Bulk" items include mattresses (a bed's frame and headboards count as one item, the box spring as one item, the mattress as one item), furniture (each separate piece of furniture is considered one item, so a table with 4 chairs is 5 items), metal appliances - (note that all freon must be removed by a licensed technician and have their verification sticker on the appliance for it to be picked up); carpet (must be cut down to 4 foot long rolls).Residents with curbside trash and recycling cart service that need intermittent additional trash capacity can purchase yellow stickers know as "Bag Tags" from Big Y and Stop & Shop Supermarkets in West Springfield; Rocky's Ace Hardware in Agawam; from the Collector's office in Town Hall. or from the Senior Center at 128 Park Street. The "Bag Tags" cost $3.00 per each and can be attached to any 30 gallon (or smaller) trash bag and placed out with your carts on collection day. If you need long term permanent extra trash cart capacity, you will need a credit card to pay for it prior to delivery. To order an extra cart please call 413-567-6717.
- Water Treatment and Distribution
- Engineering and Design – which is responsible for all contract work, inspections, and related documents. Interacts with other Departments for the providing technical assistance and relative information.